Monday, July 6, 2009

Hard part about Peace Corps is getting there

Summer time before leaving for Peace Corps is not easy. If you know you will be gone for two years, what do you do in the last eight weeks? You can't do everything. I discovered that this week. Starting at Christmas, I was able to wait to do something until I made enough money. But now I feel like an airplane without enough runway. I normally could have gone to Santa Fe this week, where my Bolivian family is right now. But instead I'm leaving for Peace Corps, so I have a list of things I need to buy, a new eye exam and a stronger pair of glasses, the coming trip in New York.

But having to decide what I'll be doing when, in this little bit of time left, helps me focus and concentrate on what's important. New York trumps Santa Fe because my Bolivian friends saw me every day when I was there--except the day I never came back--when Serena did not. And I'm focused on enjoying the things I do as fully as possible, since it is them that I will be thinking about and missing a year from now.

The majority of people that apply give up on Peace Corps. And not when they get in country, either. Really, what happens is that the application process is so long, daunting, and expensive (especially the dental and medical) that you are forced to quit. I'm glad then that I don't even have to worry about applying for my Peace Corps passport since it's already waiting for me in the cabinet outside this room. It means I can enjoy the other more important things more thoroughly in the time left. It's sad, but everyone seems to be more and more excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.