Friday, July 10, 2009

Dreamed about Morocco and PCVs last night

The *very unusual* dream was:

I have never been to Amsterdam, but with the history of Morocco as a stoner destination, I think this clouded my dream as to how it would be. Funny that I thought this, since I've been to those places already, but I guess the true way I know these to be was overridden by my discomfort at the idea of serving in what was the hashish capital of the world for my PC country. But I remember going into an elaborate Casbah type complex, made of stone, and that was the PC Country Director's home.

There were giant sofas and a wall full of DVDs, books and music. In the dream, the man also had a medical marijuana type bar. I wasnt thrilled about that. Maybe my mind was centered on that because I knew people who were arrested in Bolivia for smoking pot, and I knew that other volunteers were messing with it and endangering our PC post, and worldwide PC reputation.

But the people around, in my training group and those PCVs that show up during training for medical reasons, or whatever, they seemed great. Even though we somehow began the conversation talking about anal sex. ??

I never remember my dreams unless I wake up in the morning and fall back asleep. This is what happened today, and so that's what happened.

The other Morocco news is that I completed a survey to help the Maroc staff place us in the right home. I was very lucky about this last year, since I got the one home where the parents and children ate vegetarian food, too! Will I be lucky again this year? I was glad to see that there were two questions about vegetarian food on the survey.

1 comment:

  1. Ben:

    Sorry for the off-topic post. I tried your MSN email, and it got bounced.

    I see from your blog that you were among the Bolivia PCVs that were evacuated, and you’re now in Morocco. In August, I had been working with Tim McFarren to get some projects started in Bolivia. That fell by the wayside for obvious reasons, but I still keep in touch with him.

    I am a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Bolivia, '66-'68), and founder and COO of Water Charity, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that does water, sanitation, and public health projects worldwide. We have just started a new initiative, Appropriate Projects, to fund small water and sanitation projects very quickly.

    Please check out our website at http://appropriateprojects.com and submit an application. Even if you don't work in water/san, you may want to do a small project at a community facility, clinic, or school. It could be something simple, such as piping, fixtures, water storage, or some other needed improvement.

    We also like to “finish” projects that have been started, and “fix” things that have ceased to function.

    If you have any questions about the appropriateness of a project, or if it will take you some time to put your project together, just contact me by email.

    Could you pass this message on to your fellow-PCVs in Morocco?

    If you like what we do, could you tell others in your social networks about us?

    Thanks. I wish you the best of luck in your work.

    Averill Strasser

    Appropriate Projects
    http://appropriateprojects.com
    mail@appropriateprojects.com

    Water Charity
    http://watercharity.org
    mail@watercharity.org

    ReplyDelete

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.