Saturday, September 25, 2010

Racial tension in Morocco

Heard several Berber people expressing how much they dislike/hate Arab people the past week. On the contrary I've heard Arab people say how happy the Berbers were to come and change their culture (similarly, the Berbers are more likely to demonize the French while the Arab people look to the French culture as something to emulate-- one younger man, 20s, showed me with zeal a photo of a 90 year old woman he met in a small village in the mountains near my home, several years ago, and he told me how she was legendary for having killed 125 French people during the struggles in the 30s, when only the Ait Atta continued to fight).

The strange thing is that I feel very strongly in relation to the people that surround me and have a lot of Berber pride.... at the same time, the Arab population here is the one most in tune with the culture that I come from. So that is a conflicting emotion. Maybe I relate more to the Arab people in Morocco, but I have an equal amount of respect and support for the Berber traditions, even if I feel more like an outsider around them. Still, it is a shame to take my girls from Zagora to summer camp and then have the Arab people there marginalize them, especially since Fatima and Hayat were the ones most likely to volunteer and the ones that worked the hardest throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.