Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I filled out a survey sent by some researchers wanting to know about the 'Motivation of Ultra Triathlon Athletes'. And I thought I should share what I've learned by doing/attempting to do them!

Do you consider yourself an ultra athlete? 1 Strongly Agree ... 7 Strongly disagree

1. Strongly agree. I consider myself an ultra athlete because from the beginning I was already signed up for an Ironman 12 months later. Then, I had never done a run over 5 km, and did not know anything about cycling or swimming. I paid the entree fee as an 18 year old who was attracted to the sport because it was an all day, difficult excursion, uniquely individual, and with the best atmosphere of togetherness that exists in sports. I wanted to do it as a fundraiser, and as a personal physiological experiment, and to demonstrate the power and expansiveness of human potential to others, since I was trying to do this thing while not being an athlete. But in a year, I became an ultra athlete. If I had not aimed my trajectory so high, or jumped in the deep end so ''green'', I never would have found the passion to pursue the work involved to take me there. Paying the money I had a financial obligation to keep working, and I got a charity to sponsor that became an societal obligation. Then, I further anchored myself to the finish line of the Ironman in the day-dreaming that kept the spirit alive, much more than a 10 km or a half marathon race. It ceased being a burden, or a specific distance that must be suffered through, and it became an adventure. And especially since I discovered that it doesnt necessarily require 2x more work to go 2x as far, it was more a race-day mentality of slowing down and going further with less stress on yourself -- ''just get there before midnight'' I told myself on race day, allowing an hour to pass in the massage tent, rehydrating and everything before continuing further. On this first attempt at an Ironman, I even did not finish the half 70.3 race that was in my schedule, but it didnt deter me from still trying to finish the long one. Whether I finished or not, didnt matter, since even just the swim would be worth all the effort of the year before.

How do you define ''ultra'' as it relates to being an athlete?

As an ultra athlete, I take that to mean I am doing this activity, running or swimming or biking, for different reasons than the type-A personality people who are stuck doing 26,2 marathons again and agains. The races are so long that they cease being these highly predictable, organized affairs. You show up at the starting line not knowing what will happen, whereas the 26,2 crowd have distinct goals of shaving off 10 seconds a mile, etc. Ultra people are rarely like this.

In your own words, please tell us why you do ultra triathlon events?
In an ultra, there are so many variables, you never know what will happen, and so there is a great more deal of self-reliance involved, and the necessity to adapt. The pressure is off to run the entire time nonstop as fast as possible. Many races are unusual distances and you can not compare them like its some kind of score card that you carry around to show everyone. Plus, people always have some fascinating story, so sometimes in an ultra it is perfectly appropriate to sit and talk, or to take pictures of a beautiful area. For me, it is never about the competition. Something about going beyond an Olympic triathlon seems to reduce the competition aspect considerably, and the focus becomes on your own unique narrative. I do not feel bad if I dont make it to the finish, because going halfway usually is still a major achievement.


4. Please tell us about what you feel are the personal benefits you gain by training for and participating in ultra triathlon events? (physical, emotional, relationship, etc.)
The biggest benefit is a greater ability to cope, which only comes from practice. To feel at the bottom and then an hour later to still be continuing, with the faith that it will get better again before too long, either ten more minutes before getting my 45th wind, or else knowing at the finish I will be able to look back and be proud. But also: shattering my own preconceptions, discovering with first-hand experience the nature of my limits, seeking new avenues for growth, enjoying the back-to-basics quality and self-reliance of being on your feet for 50 miles with just some food and water. Meeting great new inspiring people, sharing difficult moments and discovering and improving both my ability to cope through repeated exposure to the dark mental aspect that is all doom and gloom. Too much of modern life is too comfortable, flat-lined and stream-lined, and there's no opportunity to get both the ups and downs on a repeated basis. Both are important, exposure to the bad moments that arise in yourself and the chance to try to overcome them in a controlled, almost clinical setting on a race course with support staff nearby to aid you (which similarly ties into what I said before about it being sort of an experiment for myself, both body and mind).


5. Please tell us about any costs or personal consequences you have experienced that are associated with training for or competing in ultra triathlon events? (physical, emotional, relationship, etc.)

Luckily there's not been so much. Just the money spent on traveling, hotels, race entry fees. I've never pushed myself too hard during a race, I've been good about knowing when to quit. For that reason I've never finished a double Ironman. I'd skip classes to travel and race, but only if my teachers were understanding about it. If they weren't, I would miss the race and stay in class, like I did in Chinese class one time. Sometimes I feel like my family or friends have a hard time understanding the allure--the idea that everybody thinks you're crazy for wanting to do something like that--and especially when I mention the different race lengths and there is a tension in the fact that I'd rather keep the distance to myself.

6. Please tell us about your next ultra sport related challenge and what you hope to accomplish?
Maybe a multi-day race in Spain next July, maybe a 100 km ultra. As far as what I want to accomplish, I desire mostly to find myself at the same level I was 5 years ago. Finishing, but more importantly getting back to that level, staying healthy and having fun while pursuing those goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.