Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bike trek*

*sometime in the recent past
IMPORTANT NOTE: All helmets in the subsequent photos were taken out of the frame (''placed carefully on the other side of the road'') of the picture in order to increase the aesthetic value of said photo.



Hello again! Today was the first adventure Ive had in a while -- 30 kilometers on bicycle with a gorgeous wind at our back the entire time-- so good that I rode the entire way in my biggest gear, pedaling without any trouble at all!

First, since its been months without a camera of my own, Christa came and let me use her camera to take photos around town. This is the part where the tourists stay, near the parent's bedroom in the corner. The clay jugs store water and also keep it cool all day long, though they use a filter so that nothing in the clay jug comes out with the water!
A few men walking home from the mosque around the corner. The weather has picked up again after a few cooler days last week. Im just happy that I have 6 months of cooler weather to look forward to in the time ahead before it becomes hot again.

I rode with Christa on the way back to her town--I have a guitar student there, the English professor in town, who loves Country music and wants me to always teach him new licks! His favorite is Brandi Carlisle (see below : )

Twenty miles from Nkob to Tazarine where the finish line was for the 2005 Marathon des Sables that I did. Interesting to be back, this time as a local!

I cooked food for the two of us-- my mouth didnt want to work today speaking English. Though I read more in English than Ive ever read in my life, I think the problem is that my tongue gets lazier than my brain and things come out jumbled.


This is the Bolivian dish Pique Machu* I describe it as nachos with french fries on the bottom instead of tortilla chips. Then whatever you like, you throw it on top. Today like most days I put sauteed peppers and onions, ketchup, mustard, curry powder and hot sauce, guaranteeing that no two bites would be exactly the same (the same goes for when i have granola with two kinds of fruit AND two kinds of yogurt poured in the same bowl).




*not to be confused with Machu Pichu












Home sweet home -- Christa's been here two years almost. Her host family were arguing about something, and she was proud when her host sister stood up and yelled : "But she's not like them! She's one of us!" Something along those lines.


The same thing happened to me yesterday. My host sister needed help with some French homework, and she said how she'll go to class and point to the little things I drew on her page to explain it, and she said she's going to tell them : this was done by mon frere Addi u Zaid! My brother!


And this was the leftovers from last night's sushi. When I go to Italy, I have on my grocery list 1) more seaweed wrappers and 2) a big jar or two of Wasabi


Thats all for now, good nite! Love you all.




As promised at the top:



1 comment:

  1. Brandi Carlile is GREAT. I've seen her in Nashville in Memphis. I love reading your blog! The pics are great.

    ReplyDelete

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.