Thursday, September 16, 2010

Music from this September



This is one with the same guy, from ABC News ''Cruising Nashville with Kris Kristofferson'' :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUPxLrkthKY

It's football season (aka Throwball like we say here, to not confuse it with the other football) so I wish I were there, grilling out and watching the game with a giant plate of nachos.

Me and Bobby McGee, there's something that is lost when you hear the covers of it sung by women (Janis Joplin, Sheryl Crow). It's a bromance kind of song and unfortunately when a woman sings the song you might look into the relationship aspect more than what's really there.
It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

A similar change happens when you hear the original Prince version of '' If I was your girlfriend''. The TLC version as good as it is, loses a whole level of pathos from the facts of the original with a man singing it, wanting to be close to you but knowing that in a romantic situation you'll be closer in some ways but not in others to the girl's girlfriends. (Thanks 'Rissa for pointing that out to me)

A person on YouTube wrote it this way:

This song is lyrically BRILLIANT! Lets be honest, alot of us as women will run to our girls, before we confide in our man. Prince GETS IT. Men wonder why women go crazy over this man. This song is why. Men just don't get it sometimes, and to hear a brotha that actually understands the complexity that makes us women is not only refreshing, but comforting. Prince has always shown women love. And for that I love him to death.




And if you haven't heard the new Sade album yet, this is the best track on it -- I didnt expect it to be as profound or beautiful as it was so it really jabbed at my heart and loved it immensely by the time I was through hearing it the first time.



I never heard the original of this one till I was at summer camp -- I only knew it from Stevie Ray Vaughn and later a cover by John Mayer (where he really shows his chops). And both of those were just instrumentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.