Friday, June 19, 2009

The peace that Iran deserves and doesn't have


my guitar professor Lily Afshar, who is planning to go to Iran in a week and a half

I wrote this to Nico Pitney from the huffingtonpost, who along with Andrew Sullivan is doing the best job of blogging Iran

Nico,

Hope you're getting some sleep, but I doubt it. I'm following your blog from Tennessee. Wanted to share a one-year old clip of my guitar professor. It illuminates the profundity and tenderness of their culture so well, and this piece of music for guitar demonstrates the peace that the Iranians deserve but many may never get. The woman playing took me to a party with thirty inlaws of an Iranian family that live in the neighborhood adjacent to mine in Tennessee. And I never had seen them before!

Lily the musician in the clip has tickets to fly to Tehran in the next week and a half but its unclear if she will go now. Normally she goes there each summer during the break in order to share her guitar gifts with Iranian music students. You may be too busy to watch or share it, but its a very affecting song. The woman has inspired me to join Peace Corps in Morocco, doing Youth development. In a way, it is this type diplomacy--the give and take of the arts-- that if left unhindered would keep our countries in perpetual peace.


Ben Pennington

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.