Monday, June 8, 2009

Discussion with a PCV from Sucre region!

I haven't asked her yet if she will let me put this on there, so I better do that first thing tomorrow
me: so, this is your first time to africa?
 Vivian: I should youtube that
  yes!
  I'm excited/nervous
 me: now you´re on 5 continents now
 Vivian: I need to study up!
 me: youve seen europe, or not?
 Vivian: yes, but only western
1:13 AM me: yeah
  eastern europe is the place where, when you go back home people want to hear about your trip
  like, ´i was in Bulgaria and i had to draw a picture of a train for the taxi driver to know where to go´
 Vivian: hahaha
1:14 AM yeah western isn't new to anyone anymore
 me: at the same time.. i know more eastern europe than western
  never seen spain
  or portugal
1:15 AM Vivian: no? interesting
 me: so people ask me about the most popular stuff, and i dont know it
 Vivian: too easy for ya?
 me: well, it was on the itinerary, but no luck
  too bad there´s no PC in kenya, where you could get the inside scoop
1:16 AM Vivian: I know!! I was trying to remember if they got evacuated for good
 me: i think so
  its still bad
  you didnt go to the job fair
  in DC last february
  but
1:17 AM it was all Georgia, bolivia and kenya
 Vivian: ahh
 me: i think it was before madagascar
  though
 Vivian: wow we're infamous
 me: yes
 Vivian: wait, what happened to pc madagascar?
 me: exclusive club
 Vivian: i just met a rpcv from there
 me: they are no longer there
 Vivian: what happened?
  i dont know really
  the bad thing, though, was that was my close-second behind Morocco
 Vivian: ahh
1:19 AM yeah, that would have been great
  for unknown reasons in high school I was obsessed w wanting to go to madagascar
 me: the singing is spellbinding in their music
1:20 AM wow
 Vivian: well, at least morocco was your first choice
 me: yes
  close to italy
 Vivian: ok let's see..
  right!
 me: it´s a 2 hour flight, minus the time difference
 Vivian: will your chica be able to visit or will you go there?
 me: a little bit of both
  for some time, i thought pc would be the thing to do again after marriage
1:21 AM but supposedly our married couple in b47 have broken up already
  so that dissuaded me from that line of thought
 Vivian: ohh no... 
1:22 AM ooh I'm listening to the link now that's incredible
1:23 AM me: yes
  yeah
1:24 AM my favorite director used that song in a movie
  he also made a movie about antarctica last year
 Vivian: who?
 me: and the first guy working there that he interviewed was a PCV from guatemala
  his name is werner herzog
 Vivian: ohh ok
  grizzly man director?
1:25 AM me: so my parents were in the room and gave me a funny look like, ´so this is the kind of people?!´
 Vivian: haha!
 me: yeah
 Vivian: nice
 me: same guy
  this one was called, encounters at the end of the world
  nominated for an oscar last year
 Vivian: hm that sounds vaguely familiar
1:26 AM me: my favorite part is the people with their ear to the ice, listening to the seals underneath
 Vivian: good? should I check it out?
 me: they are so loud that they surprise you when you walk above them
  yeah
  it captures a lot of the PC vibe... strangers in a strange place
 Vivian: wow
 me: but even more extreme personalities
  and the spellbinding landscape
  they film under the ice, too
 Vivian: haha yes good description
1:27 AM pc is definitely a type of person
 me: i think its a developed test
  sort of like summer camp, or high school band
  you have to go through the initiation
1:28 AM Vivian: and there are many
  I like too how there are so many different types of personalities, but you can see all of them fitting in under the pc "type"
1:29 AM me: its easy to see once you leave it
  and interact with people that would never do anything like that
 Vivian: exactly
1:30 AM me: it wouldnt even cross their mind
  at the same time, there´s a group of PC wannabes
  that for 40 years have wondered about it
  but what makes our group unique is that its people willing to do it, that take the step and sign up
 Vivian: and are wonderful audiences for those of us who have gone haha
  and that go and stay!
1:31 AM ..until evacuation that is..
 me: 20 years ago, it was PC and nothing else
  but now there´s dozens and dozens of programs
  short and long
  paid, unpaid
1:32 AM one book that i love a lot is callled, delaying the real world
  it´s 250 pages of ideas, groups and programs
  part-time, fulltime, local and global
1:33 AM Vivian: ah really
  I might need to look into that..
  good stuff
 me: problem is, you probably know everything all ready
  it has a list of good hiking places
1:34 AM of the best european cities for young people
 Vivian: mm
 me: stories of marathon and triathlons
  fulbrighters
 Vivian: true.. at a certain point you don't read as much and just do instead
1:37 AM me: hey, its late here. too bad you cant go to Santa Fe
  i think sarah and amanda and i are going to drive there
 Vivian: oh that will be so fun!
  I know, I'm sad
  but no way around it
1:38 AM well I'm glad you guys are going to represent
  at least I won't feel bad that they don't have any help
 me: i also became friends with a Georgia PC refugee who lives in albuqurque... she gave up her spot in my group to PC Morocco because she has a job doing gang rehabilitation and prevention
  so i think i will visit there
  haha
  yes
1:39 AM Vivian: that will be fun
  I'm going to send Alissa some stamped thank you cards, for the people who sent donations
  could you make sure santusa or dona julia sign them?
1:40 AM hopefully they'll have time
  it's not that many
 me: ok
  yes
  and i got 40 or 80 dollars from people in my family
  for them
  do you think i´ll be able to buy some of their art?
  or, do you know how much $$$
  ?
1:41 AM Vivian: mm I'm not sure what Alissa priced the weavings at last year..but significantly higher than market value bolivia
1:42 AM me: im sure
 Vivian: although if you wait toward the end I'm sure whatever hasn't sold santusa can sell you at bolivia prices
 me: i didnt buy ANYTHING when i was there
 Vivian: the sakas are usually $50-75 in bolivia no?
 me: so...
  yeah
  i saw a guy pay 80 euros
 Vivian: yeah..wow
 me: which is 100 dollars
1:43 AM damien had the biggest smile on his face ever
  especially when i said, ´los euros son mas fuertes que los dolores´
1:44 AM Vivian: haha I'll bet he did! good stuff
1:45 AM me: zaijian vivian
  do you have a chinese name?
1:46 AM Vivian: sing tien
  (smiley face - window) are the characters
1:47 AM me: oooo
  cool
  ok if i call you that?
 Vivian: sure!
  do you have a chinese name?
1:48 AM me: ben ben
  haha
  self-styles
 Vivian: hahaha! I like
 me: self-styled
  well, i tell people i´m half japanese
  because Ri-Ben
  is japan in mandarin
  take away half of that, and ... voila
 Vivian: hahaha that's good
 me: or, even better is Da ben
  big ben
 Vivian: just make sure they pronounce it right
1:49 AM not bin bin
 me: yeah
  when in colombia or bolivia
  i had great fun teaching people my southern name
  not ´ben´
  but more... ´bee-yun´
  with the southern drawl
 Vivian: haha
1:50 AM me: i found this... if you dont see the whole movie, just the trailer is powerful and beautifuk
  *ful
1:51 AM Vivian: lets see
1:52 AM ooooh
  very effective soundtrack
1:53 AM me: the people with the buckets on their head, holding on to a rope and walking in a line
 Vivian: haha I wondered
 me: they are getting survival training, where it shows them
 Vivian: dinamica?
 me: what a blizzard is like
  haha
  sort of
 Vivian: that's great
 me: and one guy in the movie was a refugee
1:54 AM Vivian: antarctica..now that's a goal to set..
 me: from Serbia, or something
 Vivian: from?
 me: and it says everywhere he goes
  he carries everything he needs to survive for one month
  all the food
  cooking gear, sleeping bag
  medicine
1:55 AM because the experience affected him so badly, he is uncomfortable if he doesnt have those things
 Vivian: wow
  yeah i'll bet
1:57 AM me: 2 am... time for bed
  i miss you! good nite

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.