Saturday, October 17, 2009

Updates

Fez trip this weekend! *Tomorrow*

Yassin will take me so I can maybe buy an oud. Today Im watching videos to know what they are like and how to tune them, hold the pick, everything like that.

Heres a couple of them, a short song. Apparently they are tuned in 4ths, like a guitar!

Ive been going through a lot of philosophically tough questions the past week, since one night I couldnt sleep because I had an overpowering sense of shame and embarassment for trying to be different and unusual, going to foreign places instead of spending time at home with my loved ones. So Im trying to work that out. Ive felt like a troublemaker, rocking the boat. Thats what happens when you spend a lot of time in cultures where the family is everything; they start asking you why youd leave home to come all the way over here alone... and the answers you give are flat.

If I get the oud, Im happy because in a week all of our group will go back to the hub, and Fatima my language coordinator says she will ask the other LCF Mbarek if he can bring his oud. That way, Ill be able to have some lessons on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhgaBxvOvfQ

1 comment:

  1. Mbarek let me play around with his Oud a little before I COSed way early. He's really talented, and I'm sure would love to teach you.

    Also, his Oud actually has fret-lines drawn on. Probably cheating, but it does make playing the thing so much less intimidating.

    ReplyDelete

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.