Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sitting at the cyber chewing on some great kow kow

The past two days have been very nice. After crawling home to retreat from the world yesterday after class, I was able to focus on non-Morocco things.... reading some more in L'ile au trésor, and some Murakami in Spanish. Then I watched I LOVE YOU MAN. I liked it fine, ncie to see and catch up again on some American culture, to watch a movie that says brolicious understand what it means without needing a dictionary.

It caused me some strange dreams, though. Seeing that and seeing AWAY WE GO the week before, somehow those two movies were alive enough in my mind so that when I slept I dreamt of Justin Timberlake.

Why that? It might not make sense on the outside. But I feel like he's the one person alive that is able to atone for and then supercede all of the dorkiness that exists in white people. And both of those movies were especially harsh. And I cringed because I knew it was largely true. SO I dreamt of J.T., one of the most awesome people alive-- a home grown Tennessean who happens to have grown up 45 minutes from me--and who saved last years Grammys when Chris Brown and Rihanna didnt show up, pulling in BOYZ2MEN and Al Green in order to sing Lets stay together at the last minute (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/02/how-justin-timb.html ) . Not to mention saving SNL each year.

But Sat afternoon after this movie, I had 4 hours or so to myself, evaluating the situation, North Africa. Still bummed that I havent seen the Sahara again, but happy to see that the Marrakesh marathon is the last day of January, instead of the beginning like I feared.

I opened the door. Yasin was there. Lets go out! Im bored! I was not bored, I was happy to be still after such a frantic week. A total of 25 hours of Darija, plus teaching for the first time here. But it was apparent that this Moroccan fellow from Saffron, 3 years younger than meof Spanish descent when his grandfather came here from Madrid, was desperate (and apparently unable to relax for longer than a morning--he usually goes to sleep after me and wakes up before me each day). So I had to save Saturday night. And I did that by making pizza!





It was more involved than I imagined--P Corps is usually like that. I thought I saw some premade crusts here in Sefrou, but when we got to the store they were really premade crepes. But pizza crust is fun and not so hard, so we got some flour on the way home.

It was a big enough hit that once the pizza started cooking Yasin went to buy more flour and so we made TWO more! The funny thing is that as soon as I put the photo u on FB, Rachid our training manager (who friended me the first week i got here) had cliked on the photo and gave it a thumbs up... thats ironic because he has assigned me to do it for homework.

Iù not going to say it was an amazing pizza--just as soon as I put that first bite and I had fresh Saffron olives, and canned pineapple and real mozzarella--I cant complain too much. Maybe one of the top 5 pizzas ever made. The Moroccan Echcherki family, had a much different one. It had tuna, onion and gallons of tomato sauce.

Finally today I went to the gorgeous water falls here and saw Hannane there with her fiance Vago. Then an hour at the gym and Im now ready to skype my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.