Saturday, January 1, 2011

Two sources of luck for 2011







Southern custom: first day of the year, black eyed peas and corn bread. Moroccan custom: couscous on the first day of the year. SO, as far as luck goes, I've got both sides covered!



World's biggest cous-cous, 2005, Algeria

Luckily, my mom thought ahead to send black eyed peas for me last month so I'd have them. Or else she sent them and it happened to be before the new year? Not sure about that. Thanks Mama! But I cooked half a pound of them and kept them in the fridge -- they are perfect with the Cajun seasoning she sent earlier. But this morning I was headed out the door to visit a nearby town for the night, and didnt think: today is the day for the English peas. But I had explained this custom to her, how it is said to bring good luck -- 'do you believe it?' 'i dont know, but i make sure i do it' -- and she stopped me with one foot out the door holding the last ounces of black-eyed peas and a spoon. Then she said to wait a minute and she'd refilled the same plastic container with cous cous, which is THEIR custom for the new year.



Still no corn bread yet, mabe i'll get corn flour at the hanut before I head back to my house.

And the Black Eyed Peas video? A third source of luck, via the necessity of having an awesome soundtrack that helps you get out the door.



1 comment:

  1. hello dear stranger,
    the couscous pic is in Agadir Morocco not in Algeria, it is for the bigest couscous in the world

    ReplyDelete

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.