Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baghdad - Photo Gallery - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

Baghdad - Photo Gallery - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

This is a very nice photo gallery, seeing the rebirth of this blighted, ancient city. Worth checking out!


And while I'm at it: let's say you want to understand more about the MidEast/North Africa. What to do?

TV / Movies
The big channel here is 2M, and I'm sure they have programs with French subtitles... if you're Francophone -compatible.


Books
that I've read and would recommend to others:

THE CAIRO TRILOGY by Naguib Mahfouz
NINE PARTS OF DESIRE by Geraldine Brooks. This one is considered biased, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing all the time, but there's good portraiture.
READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN by Azar Nafisi. This is eyeopening in the sense of, you get to see it from

These are good, I've heard:

NO GOD BUT GOD by Reza Azlan
MY UNCLE NAPOLEON


Music



Possession and Hemispheres by Lily Afshar



My Iranian-Turkish-American friend wrote saying this brought him back to his childhood in Tehran.

Saharawi music
TINARIWEN - the thing guaranteed to find a welcome home on your iPod



I'll be sure to come back and update this over the next 2 weeks, make it more comprehensive.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us all--it has been a great resource for us applicants. I have not seen many blog posts from applicants in Jordan; is Peace Corps still placing volunteers there?

    Alysa

    ReplyDelete

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.