Monday, August 2, 2010

2M visited us at camp- and my best moment at camp

One of my four kids I picked to come to camp, Fatima from Nkob interviewed on TV! She's very strong and resilient and can be playful, but Zagora people have been locked out of their rooms and things because of racism between Arabs and Berbers. Too bad... But they were proud when I did the cultural quiz night, and the very last question after two hours of competition was the one I wrote: "What group of people in Morocco were the last to resist the French?" "The Ait-Atta Amazigh people of Zagora Province."

I read the answer out loud into the microphone and looked up to see that my host brother, Fatima (in the clip) and Hayat were both beaming and yelling out in exultation that after a few rough days of their interaction with the city people, they were being recognized and had something to be proud of that the city kids couldn't claim as part of their heritage like they could. The best moment in camp for me.

Here's the link (sorry, this video cant be imbedded here. It starts at 11:15 or so).
http://www.2m.ma/Infos/node_3807/2010/node_12817/12h45-30/%28date%29/20100730

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.