Friday, May 8, 2009

i missed the first half, about the ironman analogy. Dang!

Ben

if you think about the whole thing then you will go crazy and probably quit

11:19pmBen

luckily, your year in Senegal was training for the big event

11:22pmFauve

that seems like really good advice. sometimes its hard to remember to focus on what is going on right that second but it is so much easier and beneficial that to look at the whole picture. Its funny when ever I read new PCVs blogs and they are talking about bugs, squat toilets, or odd food I think...well at least i've experienced that before

11:22pmBen

yes

unfortunately if only that was the hard stuff

but PC and your year in Senegal should give you all the tools you need to learn to cope

coping with disappointment, frustration

resentment, homesickness

but the great news is that it only gets easier with time

because you become 100,000x stronger

11:24pmFauve

isn't that the truth. the scary thing to me is that after 9 months I was so ready to go home. and then I think about how long 27 months is

But it certainly wont be the first time I cope with the feelings. I think it will just be more extreme

11:25pmBen

yeah, it's easier to think 27 months is 3x longer

but you cant compare them that way

because the expectations are different

11:26pmFauve

and I think with peace corps being more integrated and having a job will make a big difference. Even living with a host family it is hard to integrate when you go to school and hang out with mostly americans and don't contribute all that much to the community

11:26pmBen

that's the secret i learned

expectations will ruin your experience if you let them

either too high or too low

the best thing is to have no expectations

yes

i was sad when i discovered you live alone in peace corps, no more americans

except on weekends every 2 weeks

but i realize that was the only way for me to make friends with the people around me

to work harder to understand and befriend them

otherwise, you wont have friends

luckily morocco is very hospitable

11:29pmFauve

that's what it sounds like. I agree, in west africa the best thing I realized is that you cannot have expectations because things will inevitably change no matter what. I try and keep that in mind now when ever I venture into anything

11:30pmBen

an example from Bolivia is this:

11:30pmFauve

and no matter how hard you try and want to integrate if you are surrounded by other American's it is just to easy to rely on hem

11:30pmBen

training was nearly over, and we all went to eat a hamburger at a restaurant

(not me, i'm vegetarian)

my friend read hamburguesa on the menu

and so his eyes got very big

and i could tell in his mind he had an image of the most perfect hamburger ever

flying through the air like in a Whopper commercial

so his expectations were immense

and finally the thing came out

half burnt

no bread, nothing on it

just the meat

and he was devastated

i told him that if he didnt have the unrealistic expectations, then he would have enjoyed the burger a whole lot more

but he ruined it, even though it may have tasted OK

11:35pmBen

exercise helps with the stress a lot

i want to run in the casablanca marathon in October

!

11:36pmFauve

that would be cool. are you a big runner? I realized how helpful excise can be about 5 months into senegal. It is amazing what a difference it can make

11:36pmBen

yes

its' a life saver

it can be great if it is a good day

but sometimes there are cultural things that make it hard

like Macho guys that dont understand it

11:37pmFauve

I also wonder how hard it is for women to exercise or run in Morocco for example.

11:37pmBen

i know

somewhere i read a story about a guy that got a women's group to go exercise with him

even when they were wearing their burkas

so, you can make it into a PC thing for development, and self-esteem

11:39pmFauve

thats a great idea. culture is so complex. I am looking forward to the challenge.

11:41pmBen

yes

the interesting thing is that it will grow into its own thing on its own

it's a very organic thing

i went there, and i learned beekeeping

then i started to do that in my community

so it all took a life of its own

11:44pmBen

a lot of it is out of your hands, and you just have to respond

its harder if you get a new site, easier if its a site used to PCVs (but harder if they really loved the person... big shoes to fill)

11:45pmFauve

In Bolivia were you in a new site or replacing someone

11:45pmBen

hm...

both

hah

a

i had 3 people in my town before me

but one girl got sick and never came back

so it was 18 months before I came there

without a PCV in the town

so they knew what Peace corps was

but i had to start all new projects

11:47pmFauve

and what sector were you in?

11:48pmBen

agriculture

but my heart was to use the agriculture as a basis for youth development

use beekeeping to help their income, but also teach the kids science and self esteem

as well as better nutrition

11:51pmFauve

thats so cool. It is amazing how things can be intertwined. Youth Development in Morocco should be a lot of fun I think.

11:51pmBen

me too

there will be a lot of volleyball

LOTS

i played volleyball nearly every day

when school got out

or basketball

in my bolivian town

11:52pmFauve

That sounds like fun. I was reading one girls blog who plays ultimate frisbee with her kids. It sounds like such a great way to connect with kids

11:53pmBen

yes

and kids are the way into the families

they will want to take you to meet their brothers and mothers and everyone

11:54pmFauve

little by little

11:55pmBen

ok, i think i am done for tonite

what does your family say?

did you always want to do PC?
it is lucky that you

can go as soon as you graduate

i went 4 weeks after i graduated, and its a lot better than those people that do a job for five years then join

11:56pmFauve

My dad is really excite (he wants to visit) and my mom is really nervous. but they are both suportive

They are used to be running off to different countries at this point so I think they just want to know where I will be and that i'll be safe

but I better be off for the night too. Thanks for all of the stories and advice. It is a pleasure hearing about them and talking to you.

11:58pmBen

yes you too

is it ok if I put the conversation on my blog?

i dont want to write everything again

but I can change your name

11:59pmFauve

yeah absolutely

no problem

Today
12:01amFauve

i'll talk to you soon, have a good night

12:02amBen

OK!

ciao ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.