Saturday, April 11, 2009

This is an old memory of an old place that meant a lot to me:
I say it because it's a person that went to Morocco more than once, and really did a good job finding themself. The person last I  heard worked as a life coach rather than continuing in the business that they didn't love.

The story is that the man went to the MdS the first day and dropped out rather than finishing the second day out of seven.  But I was there when he came across the finish line of the second, which was the hardest of all, and included a steep one kilometer mountain up and back down after crossing twenty miles earlier in the day.  It was literally a perfectly flat route that led up to this mountain, and for four hours it grew before me, just getting larger and never seeming to come closer.  So I sat at the finish line, half-dead myself, and anxious that this man can cross that mental block of finishing the second day, doing more than he did last time.  If he could finish this one tough day, then he'd have no trouble in the rest of the day.  And over the Moroccan desert the sun went down, and they brought out a giant green laser they shined up the other side of the mountain so that people could find their way back once they made it up there (in case they got stuck and couldn't find camp). 

But soon he came across.  And I never was more proud.  But this message below comes from the MdS blog (the marathon des sables is the race being discussed here, that I did in 05 and is a 150 mile ultramarathon in the desert lasting a week, self-sufficient with everything you need on your back except the provided water).  And it says a lot about the thing that shaped my life so profoundly and ultimately I will return to, when I leave for Morocco.  But, as can be expected, the race was mainly about the effects on my life of the people I met there. And Gerry was one of them.  We earlier sang blues songs, and a Gershwin tune at the hotel while waiting for the day when we'd leave the hotel in Ourzazate and head out into the desert.  

It was a shock to us when that same song--the ethereal Summertime--was sung in a special concert for the 20th... in the middle of the desert. They flew a professional opera singer and a string quintet to the desert for us one night in the middle of the race, and forty of the athletes gathered around them as they serenaded us.  Then for the encore she sang the song again.  WQ

this is his site:

Nervous Sheep & Bagpipes :-) 

Hi there,

My name is Gerry D. and I am really looking forward to the pain again.

I am originally from Scotland where the sheep get nervous and the bagpipes howl loud,
scary tunes, but that's just to annoy the English!

Now, running a business between CA and VA.

I went on the MDS as a "bringing in the millennium" gift to myself in 2000.

Wow, what a stupid idea, but I met some really fantastic people whom I am still good friends with today so it wasn't all bad.

If you haven't done this, or something like it before, you are in for a real treat. The place is just amazing. The desert, atmosphere, the people you meet and compete with are extra special because their all happy for you. :-) ...Honest!!

I am an Ironman Triathlete and have a solid fitness foundation anyway, but here, the running is key and started my MDS training in ernest on Monday. So should be leaner and fitter come April. Standing on the line, a mere 275lbs and feeling groovy! ( I ate a lot as a child )

I hope you all have a great time in the preparation, getting there and being part of something extraordinary.

Must dash, the sheep are a calling!

Gerry

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.