Saturday, August 6, 2011



Makes my heart all aflutter --I was there. The same square This is actually a pretty good capsule summary of all the things I've done in Morocco in my time here : tea, dates, schbekiya, watching a Barça match, hanging out and talking to the retailers, endless exuberance and reptitions of Waka Waka, seemingly never getting tired of it, both me and them. But I don't see any henna-action** !

It's really cool to see the name Yanet -- the Caribbean way in Spanish to write 'Janet', just like I saw a woman earlier who spelled her name Jhoana, the way in Bolivia that they do to write Joanna, since otherwise it'd be Hoana if you pronounce the word as we write it normally.




**I like the Spanish version better, but asi es.**




And the big Moroccan pop act :



But the act most dear to their hearts was Cat Stevens -- and in that jilaba, he knows how to score brownie points from his audience.
''This is maybe one you learned in school''. Yep, they teach it and everyone gets a dose of it here.



**In the first ten seconds of the clip, you can see the remains of the Argana cafe, where it exploded earlier this year (now its behind a big construction sheet, but I saw it before they hid it away). Two weeks after the explosion, I was staying at a hotel on the same block! My thought was, it's the safest place in Morocco right now is right here.

Two Italian tourists were here, seated next to me as I ate, and they asked ''non c'e polizia?'' ''Non, c'e! Ma non hanno i vestiti usuali''. There's no police? No, there is, but they're not wearing the usual uniforms. You don't see them until something happens and then you realize how many there are, all over the plaza at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.