Sunday, August 16, 2009

Good email from a friend

Heya, all:

Some of you might know that Peace Corps Mauritania was evacuated a few days ago. My friend Shelby is among the volunteers who are leaving. After a recent consolidation she wrote a very compelling email about why she stayed when many chose to take the offered "interrupted service". It made my heart sing.

Now the remaining volunteers are in the same boat we were nearly a year ago, stuck in some hotel waiting for information on their options, running out of cellphone minutes and kleenex. Wondering how to explain to their host families that they might never see them again, and how to explain to their real families that they're not overjoyed at the prospect of coming home and in no hurry to get there. So, they are very much in my thoughts during this tough decision-making time.

I can't tell you how much I think about you all -- at least daily -- and become frustrated about our inabillity to finish the work we started in Bolivia. I have always believed everything happens for a reason but find myself impatient. I have yet to find something that feeds my soul the way Peace Corps did, even a little bit. I write this from my job answering phones at a law firm. I will go home tonight to my mother's house. I will probably go to bed early. Life took a giant belly flop, and it still stings.

But as I see you all off on your new adventures I am so proud to know you, especially the many of you who have re-upped or gone to work for organizations that support your goals, and those of you who have stayed connected to Bolivia and each other through the major life change we've all endured. We have more in common than Bolivia, or even an evacuation from Bolivia; it is the kindred spirit that brought us all there in the first place for which I am most grateful. You inspire me keep searching for my own destiny; you my heart sing.

Much love,
Erika

PS: Leona is doing great! My host parents in Bolivia are still trying to marry me off, and I passed the Foreign Service test ... still waiting to hear if they'll interview me. I would love to hear from any and all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.