Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Well!  I was afraid that Netflix would not have this movie because it´s ad said : Only available for rent from Blockbuster.  But it came right away, even faster than my favorite Buñuel movie,  Ce obscur objet du désir. 

And it´s LMAO funny. I´m halfway done, Penélope has yet to make her entrance. But so far it´s everything that made Spanglish great, but concentrated and more diligent.  Also, more subtle.  I have to ask Serena if she caught this... maybe not.   But the lives of the girl and the narrator are so extremely white.  And Javier Bardem is so extremely real in comparison to the vapidity and tepidity of their existence.  But I wonder, would this sense of ennui and cultural flacidity translate to a person like Serena?  I´m excited to see if she picks up on it.  Maybe this is criticism is one that can only be felt from an insider.  Because there´s nothing funny about the text. Instead, it´s all presentation.  And something that is as shallow as their infatuation of cultural mileposts (Miró and Gaudí), while Vicky spends the first part totally deriding everything that is truly and mercilessly Catalá (Javier). 

I was glad to see the guitar player playing Albeñiz, but there´s far greater pieces.
But the big joy of this piece is the fact that, in relation to Morocco, I´ll be living in a part of the world that was owned by Spain until very recently.  While I´m glad that no longer is so, and I joy in the differences between the two, in a sense I´ll be living between the two countries.  You can see them from the other if the sky is clear.  It would take two hours to walk across if it was land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

**VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE INDEPENDENT OF
PEACE CORPS OR THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT**
This blog is mine alone, and I am responsible for all content.